Alike at the 2018 EU Short Film Festival
The Spanish Short Film “Alike” will be screened at the 5th edition of the fifth edition of Ottawa’s European Union Short Film Festival + Tastes of Europe as part of the “Imagination Lives” program.
The fifth edition the European Union Short Film Festival features three engaging programs of short films from European Union Member States, each showcasing works in a variety of short film genres and styles, including drama, documentary, and animation. These films, from both prominent and emerging filmmakers, will be presented in their original language with English subtitles.
- Directed by Daniel Martínez Lara & Rafa Cano Méndez, Spain, 2015, 7 minutes. No dialogues.
- Multiple award winner, including Best Animation winner at the 2016 Anchorage International Film Festival and Best Best Short Film – Animation at the 2016 Goya Awards.
In a busy life, Copy is a father who tries to teach the right way to his son, Paste. But what is the correct path? Alike builds upon some of the subjects that can be found in Martínez Lara’s previous short, Changes, including work, routine and alienation, and incorporates them into the experience of a child, and that of a father and son relationship, where the father tries to teach the right path to his son.
2018 EU Short Film Festival program
- Eight short films that explore the life of the imagination and how imagination can get us through almost anything.
- On Thursday, May 3 at 7 pm. Running time: 75 minutes. Ages 10 and up.
- These eight films examine, with both intense drama and with humor, a number of urgent personal and social issues in contemporary life.
- On Friday, May 4 at 7 pm. Running time: 72 minutes. Ages 18 and up.
- The final selection offers six films that deal with the different times of life, exploring ideas of relationship, memory, and mortality.
- On Saturday, May 5 at 7 pm. Running time: 60 minutes.